MelissaN

Bookish and Sweet Reads

I love to read. It's always been my solace, and though the themes and covers may have changed, the excitement of immersing myself in the pages of a book has never diminished! So here's the chance to get into my thoughts and rambles; my loves and misses; and meet the books that make me soar :)

Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1)
R.K. Lilley
Walking Disaster
Jamie McGuire
Real - Katy Evans "You go after something because you want it bad enough to expend every one of your efforts to get it and will even risk some losses as you chase after it.”

I saw this back when it first came out, but wasn't sure if this was something I’d want to read, especially after seeing very mixed reviews about it. That said, when Remy blazed through the NA Crush Tourney, coming in second place after having gone against some real heavy hitters, my interest was more than peaked. When I saw this go on sale, I had no more excuses not to read it. So what are my thoughts? People are right I didn't like this, not one bit…I loved it!

This book starts out simple enough. Brooke Dumas is a recent sports rehab graduate who one night accompanies her best friend, Melanie, to an underground fight. Apparently one fighter, Remington “Riptide” Tate, has half the female’s population (including Melanie’s) panties in a twist. Once Brooke gets a look at him, even she can’t disagree.

“He has black hair, standing up sexily as if women have just had their fingers there. Cheekbones as strong as his jaw and forehead. Lips that are red-kissed and swollen, and as a souvenir from his walk to the ring, there’s a lipstick on his jaw. I look down his long, lean body and something hot and will settle in my core. “

Just one look between these two was enough to know there was chemistry there and apparently enough of it that when Brooke tries to exit the fight, Remy KOs his opponent to leave the ring and go after her. After that night, Brooke meets up with Remy again at another fight, and rather than sleep with her (as Brooke expects) he offers her a job, something Brooke needs. Confused and unsure of Remy’s intent, Brooke still accepts and from then on a roller coaster of emotions ensues.

I know many people had a problem with Brooke (and her bodily functions, apparently), but that wasn't an issue for me. She was strong, determined and I liked that she didn’t bend to Remy, wanting always more from him. After having her Olympic dreams shattered, one might expect her to whine or complain, but that was never an issue. Her main focus was on moving forward while all the while making sure Remy was at his best, both physically and emotionally. Though she wasn't sure about Remy’s feelings for her (even when it was kind of obvious), I loved how she always sought the best for him. She demanded he give her his all and it was great to see how she persisted with that, even when her feelings wanted her to go another way. It showed she wasn't weak. That’s not to say she didn’t commit mistakes or that at the end leaving Remy was pretty low and after what he confessed to her about everyone always leaving, I wished she would have talked it out with him. That said, I loved that Remy made her grovel a bit. Quite refreshing to have the heroine and not the hero mess up

While I like Brooke, Remy stole the show for me. He was hot, intense, demanding, incredibly sweet and just plain confusing at times. Still, I loved every minute of him. The way he kissed Brooke, how they exchanged songs to say what they were feeling (awesome!), his hesitation at hurting Brooke and ultimately, what he did for her in the end; everything Remy did won me over entirely. The secret Remy was keeping was pretty big, and I like how it played into the story. Though it seemed at tad bit over the top at times the whole sedating thing, seemed kind of off, and that’s coming from a pre-med I still think it added to what was a great story.

All in all, if you’re looking for a passionate romance, the kind that builds you up with every second of it, only to have you bursting at the seams once it comes to fruition, Real is the book for you. Katy Evans' debut was incredible and the kind of book I couldn't put down till the end. I loved how nothing was overly predictable to me, and the story and characters were all refreshing. Definitely can’t wait to get my hands on Mine now!

“ You've claimed me, little firecracker. You kicked a pair of two hundred pound men’s asses. I will never get over that. You kicked my whores out. Pete told me. You staked your claim on me, even before you realized I’d staked mine already.” He fists my hair and pulls me close to his lips. “I’m yours now … Even if I screw this up, I’ll still be your screw-up.”