MelissaN

Bookish and Sweet Reads

I love to read. It's always been my solace, and though the themes and covers may have changed, the excitement of immersing myself in the pages of a book has never diminished! So here's the chance to get into my thoughts and rambles; my loves and misses; and meet the books that make me soar :)

Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1)
R.K. Lilley
Walking Disaster
Jamie McGuire
Easy - Tammara Webber This book was so amazing, I literally have no words to say, but I'll try anyway.

Easy was just that, an easy read and not in the sense that it's silly or frivolous, but rather that it's like that really great song, it flows so well and even after you're still bopping your head. That's how I felt, even after I was still re-living this story.

First off, these characters were so real and relatable. I am in college and I can totally vouch for the utter rightness of this story. From the interactions to campus life, Tammara Webber really hit on point with her setting and characters.

Jacqueline, don't dare call her Jackie, is one character I empathized incredibly with, probably because I'm so much like her. All her actions and reactions were so natural and logical to me. She's the girl who followed her high school sweetheart to college and honestly thought they would last forever, as cliché as that might sound. Even so, I don't think she's stupid just "overly trusting" and when dealing with love even the smartest of us can get swept by. The break up causes her to breakdown and miss her economics midterm. Thankfully her professor has a heart (those rare gems, especially in larger universities) and gives her a chance.

In enters Landon, an economics tutor who at first comes off as a pompous ass but later reveals to be funny, witty, smart and oh so sweet. Problem is, Jacqueline has yet to meet him as her schedule conflicts with the tutoring periods.

At the same time, Jacqueline is faced with the appearance of Lucas. A guy who Jacqueline had never met starts suddenly appearing everywhere, from Starbucks to her economics class and everywhere in between. Lucas, with the hair, tattoos and lip ring puts off the total bad boy vibe but even from the beginning I knew he was a total sweetheart, at least where Jacqueline is concerned. Even so, he's completely enigmatic, appearing and disappearing at will all while leaving Jacqueline confused and totally swooned ;)

Secondary characters such as Dr. Heller, Benji and Erin were a nice addition that only complimented the storyline. People like Benji and Erin are one of the reasons I love college. You meet unexpected people with whom you definitely think you’ll clash. The beauty of it is though that they become the lifelines and perfect company to get you through the ups and downs of college. Dr. Heller as I mentioned is one of the gems university students are lucky to meet. Those professors are the ones who look beyond the now, only to see potential and give second chances.

As you can probably tell, there are quite a few issues Jacqueline must deal with apart from her school problems. An almost fatal situation at the beginning sets the tone for some rough topics, but like the title states, they were handled so well that it was easy to read about the without falling in despair. The subject of gossip, sex, rape, relationships and friendships were handled well and realistically. Secrets are kept and when things come out of the wood-work it isn't always pretty. Even though college students are technically adults, they’re still plagued by their inexperience and youth leading them to commit several errors in judgment. This was displayed accurately throughout the book. At the end of it all I was satisfied with how events played out and definitely had me wishing I’d meet a Lucas or a Landon in my college goings. Tammara Webber is now officially on my to watch and read list :)

Favorite quotes

"Who knows, maybe I'll be able to prove scientifically that you ex isn't worthy of you, and you're exactly where you should be"

"By Sunday evening, I was eating spoonfuls of penut butter for dinner, watching He's Just Not that Into You, and telling myself I was clearly no expection to anyone's rule"

"Choosing to be with you isn't a difficult decision, Jacqueline,...It's easy. Incredibly easy."