MelissaN

Bookish and Sweet Reads

I love to read. It's always been my solace, and though the themes and covers may have changed, the excitement of immersing myself in the pages of a book has never diminished! So here's the chance to get into my thoughts and rambles; my loves and misses; and meet the books that make me soar :)

Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1)
R.K. Lilley
Walking Disaster
Jamie McGuire
Predestined  - Abbi Glines *Might contain some slight spoilers*

I originally tried reading Existence last December, but for some reason, I was in what I now understand as a bad mood because at the mere mention of a love triangle I put it down. Fast foward a couple of months, and I don't know what got me to do it, but I gave it second chance...and loved it. I read Existence in couple of days and Predestined in less than half of that. If I thought Abbi Glines had skills for contemporary y.a she's even better at the paranormal aspect. This book literally picks up a couple of days from where the last one left off. Every other couple of chapters Pagan gets a dream in what she later interprets to be flashbacks of moments in her past she couldn't remember. Why this is happening, I'll leave to you to figure out but it most definetly has to do with why Leif is souless. Which brings me to my next topic, what I feared in Existence (the love triangle) I thought would become a reality here, but that didn't happen. Dank is extremely protective of Pagan in this book and I really do like the chemistry between these two. The more Leif tries to woo Pagan, the stronger her and Dank's relationship seems to become. We learn a lot more about Dank is this book and Pagan continues to surprise me (in a good way) with how strong of character she is. Even though she's in love with Dank, she still has to deal with the reality that he is Death. Rather than blatantly ignore the fact, Pagan deals with it (even though it might hurt Dank a little in the process). The maturity she expresses in the book was refreshing to say the least. And Dank...how I love Dank. In Existence, we really didn't get that much background on Dank Moore but that didn't stop me from loving the enigmatic character. In this book however, the author alternates between Pagan and Dank's POV, which gives us an insight in to his feelings towards Pagan. Although it seems like heaven and hell don't want to see them together, Dank fights for his and Pagan's relationship. No matter what he has to face, Dank always finds his way to back to Pagan.

Unlike her contemporary novels, Predestined is more muted on the hot and heavy stuff which makes it appropiate for a larger age set. Still, the book deals with topics like Death, spirits and voodoo which might not be everybody's cup of tea, so you should be cautioned before picking this up. If not of that bothers you, then you should defintetly read the Existence Series. I thought Exsitence was good but Predestined took it up a notch and made it great. The paranormal aspect is really different so you won't regret picking up this one. Bottom line is, if you like y.a paranormal, then this is a definite must read.

And now, here's one of my favorite quotes from the book.

"You think this necklace is a tailsman?"
"Yep, I'm not stupid Leif. I hang with Death, ya know."
- Pagan