MelissaN

Bookish and Sweet Reads

I love to read. It's always been my solace, and though the themes and covers may have changed, the excitement of immersing myself in the pages of a book has never diminished! So here's the chance to get into my thoughts and rambles; my loves and misses; and meet the books that make me soar :)

Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1)
R.K. Lilley
Walking Disaster
Jamie McGuire
Red Riding Hood - Sarah Blakley-Cartwright, Catherine Hardwicke, David Leslie Johnson The complete review is posted on http://www.yapageturners.blogspot.com

"A revelation struck Valerie as she stood alone looking up at the spire of the church. Those eyes, the second pair of eyes the Wof had revealed to her.
They had been familiar."

Okay, so onto the review. Let me first start by saying that I’ve been dying to see this movie. I think it was around summer that I read an announcement on this movie being made and I just loved the idea. And to top it off, I love Amanda Seyfried so that just sold me on going to see the movie when it hits theaters. Anyway, I didn’t know a book had been made on the premise of the movie (you heard right, the movie came before the book) until a friend of mine on Goodreads reviewed an ARC of it. So, ignoring the fact I would have to wait more than a month to fully finish the book, I purchased it the week it debuted on Kindle. Contrary to many negative reviews I’ve read, the novel was actually really good.

Though the characters presented in the novel and the storyline seem to land it in the young adult genre, I would have to say that the book is better suited for a much older young adult crowd. Some of the elements this book covers (such as the fighting and torture scenes) are a bit hard to stomach and I personally think the story would have too slow of a pace for some of the younger generations. Needless to say this is the kind of book you have to stick with before actually getting into the flow of the story. The book is divided into three parts and it starts out rather slow, picking up around half way into the second part. Even so, there’s something magical and enthralling about the way Sarah Black-Cartwright went about writing this book. Her descriptions were great (giving the reader vivid pictures of her story) and her almost lyrical way of writing the novel fit right in with this darker take on the classic Little Red Riding Hood.

Her characters were also nice. Valerie was literally the odd girl out. Not just her physical appearance sets her apart from the other villagers but her outlook on life and her unyielding determination put her at odds with a lot people. To me the only thing that I didn’t like about Valerie was her sudden love and devotion for her childhood friend Peter. Peter and Valerie had been best friends when they were kids but due to some circumstances (which are only hinted at but never revealed during the actual novel) he and his father are kicked out of the village. It isn’t until 10 years later, during her first harvest working, that Valerie sees Peter when he comes with other workers to help out. Upon seeing Peter, Valerie’s instantly knows she is in love with Peter and apparently Peter also shares the sentiment. To me it seemed absurd, they hadn’t seen each other in 10 years less had they even had a decent conversation, and already Peter wanted her to come away with him.

The Wolf was another interesting dilemma.Apparently the Wolf is a shifter and Father Solomon (the werewolf hunter the local priests calls in) reasons he must be someone in the town. This theory is further proven when Valerie realizes the Wolf has a pair of eyes she is very much familiar with. This means that the Wolf is who is very close to Valerie, but then again in a village that small, who isn’t familiar. The good thing is that Cartwright keeps you guessing the entire time. You go from being completely sure the Wolf is such and so, to suddenly changing your guess when another detail is revealed. Either way, it will be interesting to see who the actual Wolf is in the end.

If you’d like to place your bets and reason out as to who the Wolf is, feel free to comment below. And on March 11 will see who guessed right!

Consensus: Red Riding Hood is most definitely not the light read its counterpart suggests. For those looking for a good fairytale remake, nice characters and an even better mystery, Red Riding Hood will definitely be the novel you’ll come back to until you’re desperate to finish it. But be warned, until March 11, none of us will now what really happened.